Copenhagen Shooting, Three People Are Killed by a Gunman at a Mall

Copenhagen Shooting
Share on linkedin
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on reddit

Three people were killed and several others were injured in a shooting at a shopping center in Copenhagen on Sunday, according to Danish police, who also said they had arrested and charged a 22-year-old Danish man with manslaughter.

Denmark was rocked by the attack at the end of an otherwise joyous week, just three days after hosting the first three stages of the Tour de France cycle race. Hundreds of thousands of cheering Danes took to the streets across the country.

“On Sunday night, Denmark was the victim of a heinous attack. Several people were killed. Even more harmed. Innocent families out shopping or dining. Adults, adolescents, and children, “Mette Frederiksen, Prime Minister of Denmark, said in a statement late Sunday.

“Our beautiful, usually safe capital was changed in an instant,” she said. “In this difficult time, I want to encourage Danes to stand together and support one another.”

Armed officers were dispatched to Copenhagen’s Field’s mall late Sunday afternoon following reports of a shooting, and people inside were told to stay put and await assistance. Local media footage showed terrified shoppers fleeing the mall.

The suspect, who was carrying a rifle and ammunition, was apprehended at 5:48 p.m. local time (1548 GMT). Early Sunday evening, police launched a massive search operation throughout the local Zealand region in search of any accomplices.

“We’ll conduct a large investigation and maintain a massive operational presence in Copenhagen until we can say with certainty: He was alone,” Thomassen said.

According to Thomassen, the shooter killed a man in his forties and two “young people,” a man and a woman. Several others were injured, with three in critical condition.

So far, the investigation has not revealed any evidence of a racist motive or otherwise, but this could change, he said.

Monday morning, police in Copenhagen will hold a press conference at 8:00 a.m. local time.

A spokesperson for the capital’s main hospital, Rigshospitalet, said early Sunday evening that it had received a “small group of patients” for treatment and had called in extra doctors and nurses.

The Danish tabloid BT published unverified video footage purportedly shot by a witness to the attack, Mahdi Al-wazni, showing a man walking through the mall with a large rifle around his shoulders.

“He appeared aggressive and shouted various things,” Al-wazni told BT.

Footage published by the tabloid Ekstra Bladet showed one person being carried into an ambulance on a stretcher by rescue workers.

“At first, people assumed it was a thief… Then I heard shots and hurried behind the counter inside the store “Rikke Levandovski, an eyewitness, told TV2 that

“He’s just shooting into the crowd, not the ceiling or the floor,” she added.

The multi-story shopping mall is about 5 kilometers (3 miles) south of Copenhagen.

“My friend and I… we hear gunshots. I hear about ten shots and then rush into a toilet as quickly as I can. We cram into this tiny toilet with about 11 other people “Another witness, identified as Isabella, told public broadcaster DR.

The attack comes on the heels of a deadly shooting in neighboring Norway last week, in which a lone shooter killed two people in the capital Oslo. more info

According to the most recent Danish Security and Intelligence Service report, the terrorist threat to Denmark is currently classified as “serious,” with “militant Islamism” posing the greatest threat.

The threat posed by right-wing extremists to Denmark is regarded as “general,” implying that there is capability, intent, and possibly planning.

Denmark last experienced a militant attack in 2015, when a lone gunman shot and killed a man outside a culture center hosting a debate on free speech, and then killed another person outside a Jewish synagogue in central Copenhagen.

In a shootout with police, that gunman was killed.

According to police, a concert by singer Harry Styles scheduled for Sunday night near the shopping center in Copenhagen has been canceled.

“Our hearts go out to the victims, their families, and all those affected by the tragedy,” Denmark’s Queen Margrethe and Crown Prince couple said in a statement.

An event commemorating the end of the Tour de France stages in Southern Denmark, hosted by the Crown Prince and attended by Frederiksen, was also canceled.

The suspect will be questioned in front of a judge on Monday morning.

Share This Article:

Share on linkedin
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on reddit

Related Posts