The Number of Covid-19 Cases in Beijing Has Reached a 5 Months High

China Covid-19 Restrictions
Share on linkedin
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on reddit

The number of confirmed Covid-19 cases in Beijing has risen to the highest number in over five months—and authorities are worried that the virus is still spreading across the population.

The 78 new cases registered in the nation’s capital on May 23 were the highest since May 22. Most days this month, the city reported at least ten new cases, and as of November 8, that number had doubled to forty-nine (39).

There were six cases outside of containment areas, up from one the day before.

Community transmission monitoring is used as a primary gauge of whether or not an epidemic is under control in China, which implements mandatory quarantines for confirmed individuals and their close contacts. Although these figures may seem low in comparison to the rest of the globe, which is now home to the Covid-19 virus, they are really rather high for a nation that is actively working to eradicate the disease.

Dr. Liu Xiaofeng, who works at the Beijing Centre for Disease Control, told reporters on Tuesday that the city is still discovering new cases via community testing, indicating that there is still a possibility of concealed transmissions in the community.

A day earlier, another CDC official had said that the nation’s capital had successfully broken most of the transmission chains thanks to swift and scientific viral controls and public collaboration.

Most of the instances have been discovered in the downtown Chaoyang district of Beijing, therefore more than ten buildings and surrounding areas have been evacuated. More than 4,400 Communist Party cadres have been sent to help the requirements of individuals under lockdown, and residents are not allowed outside of their houses or apartment complexes unless they are obtaining a Covid-19 test, according to a district official.

Several municipalities, including Chaoyang, Haidian, and Changping, are subjecting their students to daily, perhaps even weekly, testing sessions this week.

Some Chaoyang people have reported being quarantined after having abnormal test results that may suggest Covid-19 infections since the epidemic has been focused there. However, now that the threat of infection has subsided, several schools, day care centers, and kindergartens that were forced to shut earlier in the week have reopened.

Cases in China hit a record high of 7,740 on Tuesday, the worst day since April 29. The worst of the epidemic has been concentrated in Guangdong province. Guangzhou, a southern city, has recorded 2,637 cases and has shut down a second sector as of 9 a.m. on Wednesday.

There is increasing concern that Guangzhou would see a scenario similar to Shanghai, with instances multiplying despite stricter controls.

Residents who spoke to Bloomberg News said they sought to place large orders of necessities like toilet paper, medication, and instant noodles but were unable to do so due to interruptions in courier services caused by the lockdowns. The residents of the areas where curfews were enacted may still leave their homes to buy food and other necessities.

The growing outbreaks demonstrate the stress being placed on China’s Covid Zero approach, with even strict lockdowns and frequent mass testing unable to swiftly bring them under control. In spite of the policy’s devastating effects on the economy, health officials reiterated their country’s unwavering commitment to it over the weekend, crushing expectations that authorities would soon move toward relaxing some of the tightest regulations.

Even though the weeklong lockdown in one neighborhood of Zhengzhou, Henan province, has ended, the region where the world’s biggest iPhone assembly factory is situated will continue to suffer stringent limits.

According to a government statement released on Wednesday, Zhengzhou lifted a district-level lockdown order for the airport area. Nonetheless, a number of neighborhoods inside the district will continue to be labeled “high risk,” meaning that they will be subject to lockdown-like restrictions (such as residents being prevented from leaving their houses) in accordance with the city’s Covid-19 laws.

The iPhone City-famous Foxconn Technology Group facility is included in the ban. Foxconn, Apple’s main contract manufacturer in China, has confirmed that the facility would continue to run in a closed loop. Apple has previously warned it will supply fewer premium products than expected due to the city’s continued restrictions.

After criticism from China’s top health regulator, the city promised to be more focused in its viral response. To “better balance virus protection and economic growth,” the lockout was lifted. White-listed businesses in high-threat locations may nevertheless use a secure, closed-loop system.

The city is seeing an increase in infectious diseases. The number of confirmed cases of Covid in Zhengzhou increased to 1,043 on Tuesday, from 733 the day before.

China’s dedication to Covid Zero has disrupted the operations of some of the world’s largest manufacturers and highlighted the risks associated with relying on China as a manufacturing hub.

Softer demand for the models coincides with the supply concerns in Zhengzhou, leading Apple to predict that production of the iPhone 14 would be at least 3 million units below what was previously projected for the year.

Share This Article:

Share on linkedin
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on reddit

Related Posts