The subpoena that was issued to former President Donald Trump by the special committee on January 6 has been rescinded.
The head of the panel said in a letter that was sent on Wednesday to the former president’s legal team that the panel was winding up its work and no longer required his evidence.
Rep. Bennie Thompson, a Democrat from Mississippi, stated in a letter that was acquired by CNN that “in light of the approaching closure of our investigation, the Select Committee can no longer pursue the precise evidence covered by the subpoena.” CNN was able to get a copy of the letter.
Therefore, he wrote, “through this letter, I hereby formally withdraw the subpoena issued to former President Donald Trump, and notify you that he is no longer obligated to comply or produce records in response to said subpoena.” “Therefore, through this letter, I hereby formally withdraw the subpoena issued to former President Trump,” he said.
As soon as the news broke, Mr. Donald Trump turned to his social media platform to declare his innocence.
“Was just informed that the Unselect Committee of political Thugs has withdrawn the Subpoena of me concerning the January 6th Protest of the CROOKED 2020 Presidential Election. “Was just advised that the Unselect Committee of political Thugs has withdrawn the Subpoena of me concerning the January 6th Protest of They most likely did this because they were aware that I had not committed any wrongdoing or because they anticipated failing in court. It’s possible that the FBI’s participation in rigging the election had a role in the decision-making process. Whatever the case may be, the subpoena has been DISMISSED!” he posted on Truth Social.
Earlier this month, the committee held a vote in which they unanimously recommended to the Justice Department that Mr. Donald Trump be charged with four felonies for his participation in the assault on the Capitol in 2021.